Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2008

RE-ENLISTING

I haven’t posted in about 10 days, which wasn’t my intention, but the onset of some excellent summer weather plus a really busy week contributed to the shirking. I’m now back from my vacation. Some updates:

- My big personal news is that I signed on for another 3-month tour of duty at the farm, albeit in a slightly different role. About 60% of my working hours now will be dedicated to blogging, getting the farm’s dormant newsletter -- The Furrow -- going again, and pursuing some other writing projects. The other 40% will be farm work. I like the mix.

- Haying continues. The potatoes are growing. The oats are being challenged by thistle and eaten by bugs. The wheat is past knee high. The lettuce in the kitchen garden has been my dinner a few nights, and the blueberries growing there are almost ready. A patch of strawberries near the old schoolhouse has yielded more strawberries than I care to eat. Walking around the farm fields today I discovered a strip of blackberry bushes I will be watching closely.

- Groups of young campers will be running around the farm the next few weeks as they learn about the animals and play games. The other day they watched as interns Peter, Matt, Ramchandra, and I brought loose hay up into the ox barn using the big claw. I was working the upstairs when a pulley slid out of position on its track. As I conducted several unsuccessful maneuvers to get everything back in order, the kids started heckling me. I like their enthusiasm.

1 comment:

Ian said...

Hi Jared,

I'm a big fan of farm blogs, have been frustrated at the time it takes me to find the good ones, and then remember them, so www.farmblogs.blogspot.com has been born.

The idea is very simple - it's a combination of news from world agriculture plus the recommendations of farm bloggers on the farm blogs they like to read.

You were recommened by Bob at Stony Brook Farm and hence you can find yourself linked and written about at www.farmblogs.blogspot.com

The idea is that for each farm blogger who is recommended, that they then write to me at info AT ianwalthew.com and give me their top farm blog recommendations. And so it goes....

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards,
Ian


www.ianwalthew.com
www.aplaceintheauvergne.blogspot.com
www.farmblogs.blogspot.com